3.14.2010

On Pain and Being WoWidowed

Argleblargh!  First my left shoulder randomly seizing up and sending shooting spikes of pain through me at certain (and apparently randomly-decided) points of the joint's rotation, for like a week.  Now that's finally slacked off, although certain angles continue to feel tense and problematic, just in time for my right shoulder to declare war.  War of the "You spend too much time hunched over your computer, and now I'm going to make it impossible for you to do so.  And also impossible for you to sleep." variety.  This one is a constant feeling of muscle ache, throughout the joint and across the shoulder blade and collarbone areas too.  I can't sleep on my right side right now or else it feels worse the next day - which SUCKS, as my usual falling-asleep position is curled up on my right side - but it hurts anyway, no matter how I lay.  It got so bad last night that I took an Excedrin PM to help me sleep, even knowing the slightly hung-over feeling I would have this morning from it.  (This can be, and was, cured by liberal application of $4bucks mocha and breakfast sandwiches.)

I am trying to help it ease, by not even opening my computer until around 2 PM today (for someone who normally is on and online by 9 AM at the latest, that's quite the cutting-back) and by cleaning my desk so I can pull the computer close and scoot my chair up so my arm is in a better position when I'm using my mouse.  I may crack and take another PM tonight.  I have a final tomorrow, and I can't afford to be too light on sleep from the pain during it.

Also, I want to vent about something.  So either click the happy little "x" and go find something more productive to do than listen to my grievances, or settle in, because I mean VENT.

The past week or so, I have been a goddamn WoWidow.  That is, a woman whose male significant other spends enough time on WoW in the course of a day that she might as well be living alone.  I figured something like this would happen once our landlord got the wireless sorted for us and he could get online regularly, but I really didn't expect it to be this bad.  But this week he's easily spent 90% of the time he's been at home, on WoW.  Today, he got on WoW pretty much as soon as we'd finished breakfast at 10ish, and finally came out around 5 to ask if I wanted to watch a movie with him - problem being, he hadn't set his watch for the time change yet, thought it was 4, and that we'd have time for that.  I said, "What about the raid you told me about at 6?"  He realized the time change had thrown him off and kinda sighed, and went back to WoW.  Not like we could have, I dunno, spent the remaining hour together?  Not watching a movie, but we could have watched an episode of B5 or something, or read together, or played some Gears of War 2, or SOMETHING other than "Oh, we only have an hour?  Then I guess I'll squander that hour getting back on WoW."  With this raid, he will have spent the ENTIRE FUCKING DAY on that stupid fucking video game.  I complained, on Twitter yesterday, about being WoWidowed, and my ex was oh-so-sympathetic.  His response?  "Well, maybe you should get on WoW and play with him!"  He meant well, I think, but it honestly pissed me off.  Frankly, I actually do intend to get an account once my computer's hard drive is fixed.  But my ability to get my fiance to spend some fucking time with me during his off-hours should NOT be dependent on my willingness and ability to play his fucking video game of choice!  ARGLEBLARGH!

0 comments: